This entry is a stub
This real-life stage station is only a half mile or so from the interstate, making it a quick detour. Built in 1861 or 1862 as a stop for the Overland Stage Line, the Point of Rocks Stage Station is located at the intersection of the Overland Trail and the Union Pacific Railroad. The building only served its original purpose for a few years—when the Union Pacific line reached Point of Rocks in 1868, the stage line was put out of business.
Over the years, the sandstone-brick building has been used as a freight station, store, school, ranch building, and as a home. In 1947, the Point of Rocks Stage Station became the property of the state of Wyoming. Today it is preserved as a historic site, one of the few remaining stagecoach stations from the Overland Trail.