Puerta de los Cuarteles de Daoiz y Velarde
This grand gate once marked the entrance to a military barracks.
This entry is a stub
This lonely gate is the only remaining piece of what once was the enclosure of the Daoiz and Velarde Barracks. Its completion is due to one of the many extensions to the military compound, whose origin dates back to 1861, specifically to the period in which the main building was erected in 1915.
The Daoiz and Velarde barracks, which were built at the end of the 19th century, in the 1880s, on land known as “Los Docks,” on an area of about 23,000 square meters, had two barracks, one for infantry and the other for artillery. They were designed as a set of military factories with a direct link to the Atocha station. 3,500 soldiers, 500 horses, and the carriages of a mounted artillery regiment were brought in to be housed in the Los Dock barracks.
The Madrid artillery park was given the status of a Maestranza in 1916 by a Royal Order. Via a contract between the city council and the Junta Central de Cuartelamiento, the land became municipally owned in 1981. In 1988, the city council authorized a specific plan for the conservation of buildings.
Know Before You Go
Metro stop Pacífico is the closest one to the Puerta de los Cuarteles
Follow us on Twitter to get the latest on the world's hidden wonders.
Like us on Facebook to get the latest on the world's hidden wonders.Follow us on Twitter Like us on Facebook