Just off Desert View Drive in Grand Canyon National Park are the remains of an 800-year-old former Native American settlement.
Originating from the Pueblo II culture, this settlement is believed to have been established sometime around 1185. Tree ring studies indicated that the site was occupied for only about 25 years. The u-shaped settlement consisted of a living area, storage rooms, and two ceremonial rooms known as Kivas. The site was thought to have been occupied by 15 to 20 people
Only the first few portions of the walls remain, but the site does include plenty of information boards. The site was excavated in 1930, preserved between 1948 and 1965, and added to the National Register of Historic places in 1974.