Ruins of St. John's Episcopal Church – Harpers Ferry, West Virginia - Atlas Obscura
THE GASTRO OBSCURA BOOK An eye-opening journey through the history, culture, and places of the culinary world. Just released! The Gastro Obscura book is here! Order Now

Ruins of St. John's Episcopal Church

Built in the 1850s, this church was of the first five churches constructed in Harper's Ferry. 

27
33

St. John’s Episcopal Church was one of the first five churches constructed in Harpers Ferry, West Virginia. It was constructed in 1851 and completed in 1852 by Irish immigrants. St. John’s served as a hospital and barracks during the Civil War but was badly damaged during the conflict.

For a time, St. Peter’s Roman Catholic Church (located just down the hill) was the only surviving church in Harpers Ferry, but St. John’s was rebuilt after the war. Sadly, it was abandoned when a new church was built in the upper part of Harpers Ferry.

The historic stone walls are stabilized by the National Park Service in an effort to preserve these beautiful ruins.

Know Before You Go

The ruins are visible on the right side of the trail while walking up the path toward Jefferson Rock. 


The new St. John's Episcopal Church is located at 898 W Washington St. Harpers Ferry, WV 25425. 

Community Contributors
b
Added By

Make an Edit Add Photos
Want to see fewer ads? Become a Member.
From Around the Web