The Roman Baths of Amador de los Rios, also known as the Roman Baths of Toledo, once covered nearly 25,000 square feet in the city’s historic center. They served as a kind of social club where legal agreements and businesses of all kinds were closed.
The thermal baths were used until the sixth century. In 1500 they were partially destroyed by the people of Toledo, who took stone from the baths to use in other construction. Today marble and sculptures from the site can be seen in surrounding houses, including a sculpture of a naked dancing satyr, of which there is only one other known in the world, in Greece.
A small portion of the baths reappeared in 1986 during the renovation of a house, leading to an archaeological excavation, which revealed that the subfloor was equipped with a heating system, or hypocaust. By sandals found at the site, with iron studs in the soles, the marble floors got pretty hot. Also preserved are part of the city’s waterworks, to which the baths were connected.
Currently the baths after being restored by the Consortium of the City of Toledo, and can be visited for free.
Know Before You Go
The baths are located in the heart of the old city, not far from the cathedral. It is advisable to use Google Maps to navigate the old city's labyrinthine network of the streets and alleys.