Cotton Belt Freight Depot
An abandoned factory along the Mississippi coated by a giant mural.
Centered within a labyrinth of aged factories, the Cotton Belt is a gritty, but beautiful monument to St. Louis’ industrial history.
The Cotton Belt Freight Depot was a key link in a cotton trade route that ran through Texas, Arkansas, and Missouri. Built in 1911, the depot served the then-booming cotton industry for decades, but eventually, the site was shuttered and abandoned. The design of the structure incorporates sculpted terra cotta elements and grand portal designs making it seem a bit grander than a warehouse depot might normally be.
The now-abandoned building stands five-stories high, but its most striking feature is its length and thinness. At around 750 feet long, the building is more of a wall than a building. Much of its vacant exterior is scrawled with graffiti, but the Eastern side of the exterior is covered with a bright “Migrate” mural that was painted as part of a revitalization project centered on the site.
Once adjacent to a tent city, the empty site is now in the crosshairs of a proposed stadium, but it does receive limited protection as a part of the National Register of Historic Places. Even in retirement, the Cotton Belt has survived all seasons.
Follow us on Twitter to get the latest on the world's hidden wonders.
Like us on Facebook to get the latest on the world's hidden wonders.Follow us on Twitter Like us on Facebook