As Glasgow developed and standards of living slowly increased, the Paisley Burgh Council went searching for the site of a new park for public recreation. In 1911, the Arthur family came calling and sold the council 55 acres of land on their Barshaw estate. The Arthur family was well-known and owned several successful Glasgow firms. The park was developed before it officially opened on June 15, 1912.
The park stands out from others in Glasgow due to the sense of history and interesting features contained within. It houses a small passenger train that takes visitors around a circuit in the center of the park. There is also a model traffic area, where children can practice cycling and learn street signs. Nature Corner is a small petting zoo area with an interesting assortment of animals. Finally, there is a walled garden, with a bright variety of flowers.
The park offers a sense of nostalgia for all that visit.
Know Before You Go
There is ample parking around the outskirts of the park and multiple entry points from the surrounding roads. There are also clear maps posted on the notice boards at entry points to the park.