At the center of the city’s oldest public park, stands The Grand Fountain, one of only three of Scotland’s Grade A-listed fountains.
It and the surrounding land were donated to the city by industrialist and philanthropist Thomas Coates. The massive water fixture stands at 32 feet (10 meters). It is an ornate cast-iron configuration, adorned with numerous figures of cherubs, herons, dolphins, and walruses surrounded by an immense pool of water.
This one of its kind structure was the work of George Smith & Co, Sun Foundry, located in nearby Glasgow. Stained-glass artist and designer Daniel Cottier was responsible for the color arrangement. Historic Scotland proclaimed this edifice to be one of the best examples of a Scottish-made cast iron fountain in the country.
In 2014, due to the water fixture falling into disrepair, it underwent a massive conservation and renovation scheme, costing nearly a million dollars. This included a new plumbing system and a fresh lick of paint to bring the monument back to its original working condition and glory.
The park was initially founded towards the end of the 18th century and was renamed and officially re-opened in May 1868. Also located in the nearby vicinity is a statue dedicated to Robert Burns, the country’s national bard. The likeness is regarded as one of the finest depictions of the country’s national bard. It was designed by British sculptor Fredrick William Pomeroy.
Know Before You Go
Open 24 hours and free to visit. There are no public facilities and parking is limited to what is available in the surrounding neighborhood. It is located an estimated 10-minute walk from Paisley Gilmore Street railway station.