Brooklyn-based Atlas Obscura is looking for an experienced General Manager and travel professional to oversee the company's expanding Trips business. Our international multi-day trips are unique, immersive, and intimate adventures into unusual regions, cuisines, and corners of history. The General Manager role is a senior position, reporting directly to the CEO, responsible for managing and growing the entire Trips business.
- Build and execute a strategic plan for the continued expansion of Atlas Obscura Trips
- P&L responsibility for the entire Trips business, including overall cost and revenue management
- Lead marketing and promotional efforts for Atlas Obscura Trips
- Adapt trip offerings based on trends and customer feedback; ensure trips stay competitive, relevant, and “Atlasy”
- Supervising the Trips team to develop, price, and implement new trip ideas
- Develop and manage relationships with external travel partners, including drafting contracts and overseeing foreign contract employees
- Handle financial and legal operations, ensuring appropriate insurance coverage
- Handle major emergency issues that arise on a trip
- At least 5 years of experience in the travel and tourism industry, preferably in small group, adventure or alternative travel
- Experience working in marketing and/or sales
- Working knowledge of P&L management
- Analytical mindset, quick problem-solving skills, and ability to think strategically
- Excellent communicator and facilitator who can work well with travel partners and tour operators
- Strong organizational skills
- Self-starter with ability to manage multiple trips in a fast-paced environment with minimal direction
- Experience handling international operations, including crisis management
- A hands-on attitude, a healthy sense of humor, and a passion for Atlas Obscura’s mission of finding and exploring the coolest places on the planet.
Compensation is competitive and includes equity. To apply, please email a resume and a cover letter detailing your interest in the role and qualifications to email@example.com.