Atlas Obscura’s sixth annual Obscura Day—the special day we set aside each year to celebrate our mission of discovery and exploration—is just a couple of weeks away, May 6, 2017. For those of you still trying to decide how to spend the day, here’s a few updates and ideas to get you started:
Option 1: Join us at an event
We’re hosting over 170 events in 36 states and 25 countries
Which means the odds are quite good there’s one happening near you. Some of the Obscura Day events we’re particularly excited about this year include:
- Berlin: A classical concert in an abandoned hilltop spy station
- Portland, Oregon: An underground excursion & cocktail hour inside the infamous Shanghai Tunnels
- New York City: A celebration of the first jazz record inside NYC’s oldest members-only club
- Arizona: A visit to an experimental city dedicated to architecture and ecology
- Johannesburg, South Africa: A secret sunrise and sunset rooftop photography tour
- Philadelphia: A day of taxidermy & diaphonization demos at a preserved Victorian history museum
- Beijing: A scavenger hunt inside an abandoned hospital and Catholic school
- Costa Rica: An overnight hike venturing deep into some of Costa Rica’s least accessible forests
- Montreal: A tour of Concordia University’s solar simulator, being used to revolutionize solar power
- Milwaukee: A day of bowling, beer, and history at America’s oldest bowling alley
Option 2: Pick your own destination to explore
No events scheduled near you? There are thousands of ways to celebrate
Choose from the more than 11,000 places in the Atlas and get out there! Discover a curious and wondrous place near you here.
And finally, don’t forget: once you make your plans and set out to seize the day, use the #obscuraday hashtag to share your adventure with entire Atlas Obscura community.
Still have questions? Email us at email@example.com.