Situated among the trees at the summit of Mount Macedon, high in the Macedon Ranges lies the Mount Macedon Memorial Cross. At a height of 68 feet (21 meters), this striking and imposing monument is said to be one of the most significant in the state of Victoria. It’s a site of remembrance and was initially built in 1934 to remember those who lost their lives from 1914-1918 during World War 1.
William Cameron, a local landowner, organized the construction of the cross as a gift to the people of Victoria. The memorial cost around £10,000 to construct, and was officially dedicated to the Australian service men and women on March 16, 1935, by the Victorian Premier, Stanley Argyle.
The cross is made of pale, yellow tiles composed of special Wunderlich terracotta, which sits on a steel base. The bright color means it can be seen from miles away from the extensive flat plains below the Macedon Ranges. Today, it serves as a memorial to all who have served and lost their lives in wars worldwide. One of the plaques on the cross has the poignant words:
“To the glory of God and in memory of Australia’s sons, 1914-1918. Death cannot rob them of their glory nor time efface the memory of their gallant deeds.”
The steel structure began to show signs of structural weakness. After many years of planning, it was replaced in 1995 by a visually identical cross, the only difference being that it was reinforced with solid concrete.
Know Before You Go
The site is a short walk from the nearby Kurana Aeroplane Crash Memorial, another poignant site worth seeing if in the area. There are many trails of different lengths and difficulties around the Macedon Ranges.