This entry is a stub
The Lowfield Heath Windmill wouldn’t still be standing if it weren’t for a dedicated group of local people. The mill was originally built at Lowfield Heath in 1737-8 and now stands on the edge of Charlwood village.
In the early 1880s, the mill ceased working by wind because of the increasing use of steam power for industrial purposes. But the mill was still grinding until the end of the 19th century, using a set of steam-driven stones. Over the next few decades, the mill sat vacant and unused, and fell into a state of disrepair. But in the 1960s, work was done to stabilize the old structure.
In the 1980s, even more work was done to restore the old windmill. It took 13 years of hard work and great skill to dismantle, repair and re-erect the windmill, which has four floors. An external staircase leads to the second floor, from where internal ladders rise to two further floors. It also has a small visitor center within the roundhouse.