Dating from 1680, this late 17th-century dwelling is known as the Giant’s Cottage. The name for this quirky cottage isn’t linked to its size, as the thatched cottage is not giant itself, but for the large rock face that peers out from the front wall.
With large flint eyes, the giant watches passersby as it has for centuries since it was added onto the cottage. It’s unknown if the giant’s face was simply the creative expression of an eccentric landowner, or if it was included to protect the cottage by scaring approaching burglars or as a charm from a more superstitious age. Either way, the cottage remains standing, with details of the face still visible even after more than 300 years.
The local village of East Meon is similarly protected it would seem. During the German Luftwaffe’s bombing campaign of World War II, it’s believed 38 high explosive bombs and an additional 3,500 smaller incendiary devices were dropped onto the village. Yet, not a soul was seriously harmed, save for a single pig.