In the basement of a colonial building, the remains of an Aztec temple dedicated to the god of the wind were found. The site was uncovered in 2014 and two constructions were identified: the remains of the north side of the pre-Hispanic ball court and the base of the temple of Ehécatl, the Aztec wind god.
The entire complex was witness to the Spanish war of conquest in 1521. Upon the victory of the Spanish, a large part of the old buildings were destroyed to build the first houses in New Spain. That is why among the vestiges a wall of the house of Juan Engel, one of the first residents of the city, was also found.
The corridor to visit the basement where the vestiges sit runs through an old pre-Hispanic corridor. That is why in one of the corners it is possible to see the remains of a ceremonial brazier that served to illuminate the streets and for ritual uses during the 14th century.
An offering of several human spines of 30 children (between 0 to 6 years old) was also found on one side of the ballcourt stairway. For their protection and study, they are not exhibited inside.
Know Before You Go
The site is only open on Saturdays from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. and on Sundays from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. with the access ticket to the Museo del Templo Mayor.