This entry is a stub
The Crooked River Lighthouse is composed of steel and was built in 1895. It was constructed as a replacement to the lighthouse on Dog Island after it was destroyed by a hurricane. It was decided that it was much safer to build the replacement lighthouse on the mainland instead of on the vulnerable island.
Nearby is the Camp Gordon Johnston Museum. The camp was a training facility during WW II in preparation for the various amphibious assaults that took place during the war.