Cine Doré, inaugurated in 1912, is a modernist building that holds 1,250 spectators. The building underwent its first of many renovations in 1923 by architect Críspulo Moro Cabeza.
The building lost part of its original glamor during the late 1930s and became a rather unattractive place, and for some time it was even known as the Sunflower Palace.
The façade is in a modernist style with six Ionic columns and a medallion surrounded by flowers. The Municipal Corporation acquired the cinema in 1982 and the Ministry of Culture used it as a stable location for projections for the Spanish Film Library.
The restoration by architect Javier Feduchi began in 1982 and ended in 1989, with the cinema inaugurated on February 28 of the same year. There are two theories about the origins of the name, one attributing it to a tribute to Gustave Doré and the other to the first two musical notes.
Its most recent restoration was led by the architect Javier Feduchi, who preserved the decorative and architectural elements of the old building adding a second room at the bottom.
Since 1989, the Doré Cinema has served as the Spanish Film Library’s projection space. It is used for both its programming and a variety of outreach initiatives that promote Spanish cinematography and cinema in general.
Know Before You Go
Metro: stop Antón Martín (líne 1) is the closest one to Cine Doré.