Chapel on the Dunes – Port Aransas, Texas - Atlas Obscura

Chapel on the Dunes

Port Aransas, Texas

The oldest functional consecrated church on Mustang Island.  

2
13

Off the beaten path and up on a hill in Port Aransas resides a little white chapel overlooking the Gulf of Mexico. It was self-built in 1937 by Aline B. Carter and used as a personal space for her to meditate and create poetry. Carter was also Poet Laureate of Texas from 1947 through 1949.

Originally named the Chapel of Eternal Light, Carter loved the sunrise over the Gulf of Mexico and sunsets over Corpus Christi Bay. 

In 1972, John Patrick Cobb repainted the interior with murals that depicted the Old and New Testaments. The Chapel of the Dunes has free tours on the first and third Saturday of every month or by appointment. 

Know Before You Go

Parking is on the left side of the house and the trail is to the right. 

Community Contributors
LoneStarController
Added By

Make an Edit Add Photos
Want to see fewer ads? Become a Member.
From Around the Web