A.M. Kennedy and Sons Covered Bridge
One of the last remaining covered bridges in the region.
Sometimes this bridge is known as the Richland-Plummer Creek Covered Bridge, as it spans a tributary to the White River. In Greene County, Indiana, it’s called “THE” covered bridge, as it’s the only one still in existence in the county.
Constructed in 1883, the bridge has been damaged, usually by vandals, and repaired often. The weight limit on the single-lane bridge is now only 3,000 pounds.
The inscription on the last historical marker read: “Built 1883 by A.M. Kennedy and Sons to Burr arch-truss design on stone abutments. Closed 1957; opened 1967 after foundation and roof rehabilitation; closed 1990. Bridge reopened in 1998 following extensive structural renovation and replacement of timbers. Listed in National Register of Historic Places 1993.” A new marker is pending.
Know Before You Go
To reach the bridge, go south out of Bloomfield on Seminary Street, also known as the Old Scotland Road or Baseline South. There's a small pull-off area just north of the bridge.
Follow us on Twitter to get the latest on the world's hidden wonders.
Like us on Facebook to get the latest on the world's hidden wonders.Follow us on Twitter Like us on Facebook