The Pieter Claesen Wyckoff House, located in the Milton Fidler Park in the Flatbush area of Brooklyn, is the oldest surviving example of a Dutch saltbox frame house in America and was one of the first structures ever built by Europeans on Long Island. It’s estimated that the house was first built in 1652, but the majority of what visitors now see when touring the site was added in the 19th century. Only a small section of the house remains from the original 1652 structure.
It’s remarkable that any part of the original structure, even a small piece, remains as the Wyckoff House wasn’t declared a National Historic Landmark until 1967. That original structure was built on land purchased from the local Lenape people in approximately 1636 by Wouter van Twiller. Today, the house is owned by the city of New York, but it operated by a nonprofit organization.
The organization that operated the Wyckoff House runs a small museum inside of the structure. The museum hosts public events throughout the year, including seasonal and Dutch-themed festivals.
Know Before You Go
Manhattan Bridge to Flatbush Avenue; follow Flatbush Avenue south 4 miles to Clarendon Road; turn left on Clarendon Road and proceed 2 miles; Park is on the right hand side at East 59th Street. Belt Parkway to exit 11N [Flatbush Ave.] Take Flatbush Ave to Ave. T; Turn right on Ave T; Take Ave T to Ralph Ave.; Turn left on Ralph Ave.; Take Ralph Ave. to Clarendon Rd.; Turn left on Clarendon Road and Park is on the left hand side of the street.