This entry is a stub
The Waterloo Pioneer Memorial Tower is an 18.9-meter-high tower on the banks of the Grand River.
It was erected in 1926 to honor the contributions of the Pennsylvania-German pioneers who settled the Waterloo Region between 1800 and 1803. This was in response to the anti-German sentiments, and cultural sanctions imposed on the community during the First World War.
The shimmering Swiss-style copper roof, random-coursed fieldstone construction, and Conestoga wagon weather vane can be seen for miles. It is in an unassuming field, so it is a wonderful surprise to the hiker.