Amid the many churches, chapels, cathedrals, and convents of Old Goa, there is an old archway that stands next to the Mandovi River, near the ferry terminal.
This archway is called the Viceroy’s Arch and was constructed in 1599 by Francisco Da Gama (who was the Governor from 1597 to 1600) in memory of his great grandfather Vasco Da Gama.
Back when Old Goa was the capital of Portuguese Goa, this archway was one of the main entrances into the city.
The archway also held ceremonial importance. At this spot, the exiting viceroy would hand over the ceremonial keys to the city of Old Goa to the new viceroy. The new official would then pass through the archway.
The side of the archway that faces the river contains a statue of Vasco Da Gama. It also has a deer emblem from Da Gama’s coat-of-arms. On the other side of the archway is a statue of St. Catherine.
The archway also contains an inscription that commemorates the emancipation of Portugal from Spain.
Know Before You Go
This archway is near the Church of St. Cajetan. The Old Goa ferry terminal lies next to it.