The Magruder Spring
Once used by British troops to gather water prior to the Battle of Bladensburg.
Magruder Spring first became known as a watering hole for British troops leading up to the Battle of Bladensburg in August of 1814.
The spring is located about 500 yards south of Mount Hope, the plantation house belonging to Fielder Magruder, for whom the spring was originally named and was the main source of water for the plantation in the late 1830s and beyond.
By the 1920s, the spring was the primary source of water for residents of the new town of Cheverly, which was founded in December of 1918 by Robert Marshall, and in a corresponding move, he renamed the water source from Magruder Spring to Cheverly Spring.
The spring is accessible from Cheverly Avenue near where it intersects with Arbor Street.
Know Before You Go
Cheverly Spring was rebuilt in 1981 based on photos from the 1920's. It is an official Maryland State Historic Site.
Follow us on Twitter to get the latest on the world's hidden wonders.
Like us on Facebook to get the latest on the world's hidden wonders.Follow us on Twitter Like us on Facebook