James Holland bought the land that sits at the corner of modern-day Norwood and Ednor roads in 1860 and opened a store shortly thereafter. The intersection became known as Holland’s Corner and in 1889, Holland became the first postmaster of the growing community known as Norwood.
Shortly after the turn of the century, Holland sold a vast majority of the property including the store to P.F. Carroll, who in turn sold the property to Robert E. Smith in 1944. The property and store remained with his widow, Marie, after his passing.
The store operated for quite some time as a beer/wine/deli before shuttering in 2007. It is now under the purview of the Maryland-National Capital Park & Planning Commission. The store stands on the same corner it has inhabited for more than 100 years.