Built in 1852 by Samuel Stonestreet for his son, Dr. Edward Elisha Stonestreet after he had graduated from medical school at the University of Maryland, this one-room doctor’s office has been moved on two separate occasions, and now lives on as a museum on the grounds of Beall-Dawson House.
The office was initially located in the front yard of the Stonestreet Family House at the intersection of East Montgomery Ave. and Monroe St. Dr. Stonestreet practiced medicine there for 51 years until his death in 1903.
Several years later, the museum was relocated to the Rockville fairgrounds, where Richard Montgomery High School now stands, which prevented it from being a casualty of urban renewal. In 1972, the museum was donated to the Montgomery County Historical Society and transported to its current home on the grounds of Beall-Dawson House.
The museum features pharmaceutical items, medical instruments, tools, and books that date back to the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Occasionally, living historian and Master Docent Clarence Hickey will revive Dr. Stonestreet through reenactments at the museum, which have been widely lauded for their authentic feel. Hickey has also written a biography entitled Send For The Doctor, which highlights Dr. Stonestreet’s remarkable achievements in the field of medicine during the Civil War and in his own practice.
Know Before You Go
Visits can be scheduled via email to: Stonestreet@MontgomeryHistory.org.