Designed by Ž. Radojčić, this spomenik was completed in 1969 on the outskirts of the tiny village of Brzeće, on the border between Serbia and Kosovo. The monument immortalizes the victory of the Serbian partisan army over the fascist Axis forces from Bulgaria and Germany, and local collaborators.
In 1944, the Serbian forces inflicted heavy blows on their adversaries in Novi Pazar and along the Ibar River. As a result, the Axis forces decided to move the battleground to the Kopaonik Mountains and regroup near the village of Brzeće. Upon receiving intelligence on this move, a Serbian contingent was sent to neutralize the threat. The clashes began on August 6, 1944, and two days later, the Axis forces were thoroughly defeated, and between 1,200 and 1,250 fighters were captured. It is not known how many soldiers lost their lives in this battle.
In Serbian, the name of the monument, Mramor, means “marble,” which is what the monument is made of. It sits on the ridge of a mountain, and it overlooks a dramatic landscape dominated by rugged mountains and ancient forests. This spomenik consists of two spikes reaching 18 meters in height, with a circular motif connecting them in the lower part of the monument. At the bottom of the spomenik is a marble slab with the names of 22 partisans who lost their lives in the battle. There is no sign of recent restoration or maintenance.