Ringwood Mining Historical Site
A monument commemorating the antimony mine that once operated in this Melbourne suburb.
The eastern suburb of Ringwood is an area steeped in history, and it played a large part in the booming Australian mining industry in the late 1800s. In 1869, antimony was discovered incidentally when road metal was being extracted and this led to a surge in mining shafts being constructed in the area. The Ringwood Antimony Mining Company was set up and they were later joined by other companies looking to get involved in this profitable industry.
Antimony was used for many purposes including making pewter (a metal alloy), paint pigments, and pharmaceutical items. The mine operated until 1892 due to the economic recession which heavily impacted the industry and the demand for antimony. Visitors to Ringwood Lake can see a replica of the poppet head wheel, part of the frame at the top of the mineshaft, as well as a mineshaft and multiple informative signs and old photographs which give an insight into the industry which was pivotal in the industrial development of the area.
The site has undergone different periods of regeneration over the years and there was a replica construction of a miner’s cottage which sat in the park until 2009, when it burned down. A commemorative plaque now sits at the former site.
Know Before You Go
There is a car park by the Ringwood Lake Reserve.
Follow us on Twitter to get the latest on the world's hidden wonders.
Like us on Facebook to get the latest on the world's hidden wonders.Follow us on Twitter Like us on Facebook