This entry is a stub
The white horse was cut by volunteers from Pewsey Fire Brigade in 1937 to commemorate the coronation of King George VI. Originally the date it was cut appeared above the horse, but this has since disappeared. This current horse replaces one that had been originally cut in the 18th century, then lost to overgrowth over time.
Measuring 66 feet wide and 45 feet tall, the Pewsey White Horse is one of the smaller of Wiltshire’s eight white horses. The figure is surrounded by a fence to prevent grazing animals from disrupting the design of the chalk figure.