The Neolog Synagogue stood on this site until 1969, it survived World War II only to be demolished to make way for the construction of the SNP Bridge.
It was built in 1893 and designed by Dezso Milch as a two-story Moorish building that contained two octagonal onion dome towers. The synagogue was constructed on a square known as Fish Square, adjacent to the city’s St Martin’s Cathedral.
The Neolog Jewish community was founded in 1871 by a group that was unhappy with the strong Orthodox leadership of the community. During the post-war period, the building served as a temporary TV studio for Slovak Television.
There were plans to turn the building into a Jewish museum, but it was eventually demolished under suspicious circumstances.
The memorial that now stands on the site was designed by Peter Zalman and Lucia Zalmanova in 1996. There is a symbolic image of the synagogue on the marble wall and a sculpture placed in the center.