Next to the magnificent Shaniwar Wada in the center of Pune stands an imposing 18th-century mansion. The building is known as Nana Wada.
It was the residence of Nana Phadnavis, a minister and statesman of the Maratha Empire during the Peshwa administration in Pune. The mansion is spread over 20,000 square feet and was built in 1780.
The beautiful architecture of the mansion has stood the test of time. It is primarily made of sagwan wood/teak and is an example of architecture from the Peshwa era. The elaborate woodwork consists of wooden railings, a timber ceiling, arches, motifs of banana flowers, cypress-shaped pillars, and more.
In 1907, Pune’s Deccan Education Society converted part of the mansion into the New English School. As part of their expansion, a new building was added. This building has a British Gothic Revival architectural style. The confluence of the two distinct architectural styles makes this place visually interesting.
Nana Wada currently houses a municipal school and a municipal office of old records. The building is a fine example of the glorious history of Pune.
Know Before You Go
The mansion is located to the south of Shaniwar Wada.