An ornate and disused early 20th-century building has been given new life as a fully operational structure, complete with offices, oyster bar, and a furniture retailer.
In 1911, this building was one of London’s most elaborate and distinctive buildings. What has come to be known as the Michelin House was developed by Francois Espinasse, an employee of the French tire manufacturer, to house the company’s premier United Kingdom headquarters.
Espinasse incorporated many shapes reflecting the Art Nouveau style. He also included many features that represented the business’s products, as well as the logo. One of the many striking elements is a trio of large stained glass windows depicting the corporation’s mascot, Bibendum. The anthropomorphic figure is made entirely out of inner tubes.
In 1969, The building’s exterior would eventually gain a Grade II Listing. The Michelin firm would eventually relocate to Stoke-on-Trent in the 1930s. They sold the building in 1985. Today, the current occupants run the gamut of offices of varying fields on the upper floors, and a furniture store running down one length of Fulham Road. An oyster bar and restaurant occupy the two floors facing Brompton Road.
Know Before You Go
The exterior of the building is accessible at all hours of the day, the evenings provide an added bonus by having the stained glass illuminated from behind.
Claude Bosi Oyster Bar is open for both lunch and dinner. Closed on Mondays and Tuesdays. Advised to check the website to avoid disappointment.
Follow us on Twitter to get the latest on the world's hidden wonders.
Like us on Facebook to get the latest on the world's hidden wonders.Follow us on Twitter Like us on Facebook