Legato School Museum
The last of Fairfax County's one-room schoolhouses.
The Legato School was originally located at the intersection of Pender and Legato Roads, where it operated between the late 1870s until 1930. It was moved to Chain Bridge Road in 1971 as part of the Fairfax County Public School Centennial.
The roof was moved separately from the rest of the building, and was reassembled at the new site with students from nearby Woodson High School assisting with the restoration.
The museum has been furnished to mimic the look and feel of an 1870s schoolhouse. It’s operated and maintained by Fairfax County Retired Educators (FCRE), a group comprised of former teachers and faculty from the Fairfax County Public School System.
Know Before You Go
The museum is open to the public on certain holidays and by appointment. There is no charge for admission.
Follow us on Twitter to get the latest on the world's hidden wonders.
Like us on Facebook to get the latest on the world's hidden wonders.Follow us on Twitter Like us on Facebook