The first of Lancaster's "rural cemeteries."
In 1846, the vestry of the German Reformed Church acquired a ten acre property along the New Holland Turnpike north of the city, and the following year received a charter of incorporation from the state legislature which guaranteed perpetual occupancy of the dead. The cemetery was designed by the Reverend Nathaniel A. Keyes, who apparently laid out the relatively flat grounds using a compass and a ruler.
Among the notable individuals interred in Lancaster Cemetery are Civil War General John Fulton Reynolds, who died on the first day of the battle of Gettysburg, July 1, 1863, and modern artist Charles Demuth.
Lancaster Cemetery has been designated a local historic landmark by the Historic Preservation Trust of Lancaster County.
Know Before You Go
North Lime Street & East Lemon Street in downtown Lancaster PA
Follow us on Twitter to get the latest on the world's hidden wonders.
Like us on Facebook to get the latest on the world's hidden wonders.Follow us on Twitter Like us on Facebook