The Egyptian-inspired last resting place of Lord Kilmorey.
Hidden away on a quiet suburban street in west London, this Egyptian style tomb has exotic origins and a colorful history. It was built in the early 1850s by the Earl of Kilmorey for his mistress, Priscilla Hoste. They had a son, but she became terminally ill with heart disease and died in 1854.
The mausoleum was designed in Egyptian style by the architect H.E. Kendall and first erected in Brompton Cemetery before coming to Twickenham. The current site is being turned into a small garden, but many walk past the ubiquitous brick walls with no idea of the gardens and tomb behind. The garden is open to the public only a few times a year, but you can volunteer to work there or arrange a visit by contacting the Environment Trust for Richmond upon Thames.
Follow us on Twitter to get the latest on the world's hidden wonders.
Like us on Facebook to get the latest on the world's hidden wonders.Follow us on Twitter Like us on Facebook