Judd’s General Store – St. George, Utah - Atlas Obscura
THE GASTRO OBSCURA BOOK An eye-opening journey through the history, culture, and places of the culinary world. Just released! The Gastro Obscura book is here! Order Now

Judd’s General Store

St. George, Utah

Opened in 1911, this small shop is the oldest ongoing establishment in St. George.  

15
41

Located in the Historic District, Judd’s General Store is the oldest ongoing establishment in St. George. In 1908, pioneer businessman Thomas Judd purchased a home that had been built in 1876, from Joseph Bentley. Just a few years later in 1911, Judd built a store out of adobe bricks in front of the home. The Bentleys had been operating a small store out of the home and Thomas Judd purchased their inventory to open his store. 

The store sold general merchandise to locals, many of whom were sheep and cattle ranchers. This included dry goods, groceries, hay, grain, and even clothing. After Thomas Judd’s death in 1922, the store passed to his son Joseph and then to his grandson Tom Jr. The store remained in the Judd family until 1982, and was the oldest family-owned business in St. George.  

In 1982 the city wanted to demolish the home and store to create a parking lot, however, Dr. Mark and Barbara Greene purchased both historic buildings as part of their “Green Gate Village” project. Tom Judd, Jr., grandson of the store’s original owner, continued to work at the store until 1988 when he retired at age 76. 

The home, known as the Bentley House, was converted into a historic inn. The store has been restored and retains the original counter, shelving, and scales and sells nostalgic items such as glass-bottle sodas and retro candy. The 1946 gas pump in front of the store stands in the same spot as the gas pump seen in historic photos of the store. 

Community Contributors
CuriousMichele
Added By

Make an Edit Add Photos
Want to see fewer ads? Become a Member.
From Around the Web