This historic walking trail, dating back to the mid-19th century, is a popular circular walking trail beginning and ending in the village of Ingleton in the in Yorkshire, England. Situated within the Yorkshire Dales National Park, the trail is five miles long and has a vertical rise of 554 feet. It takes visitors past some of the most spectacular and beautiful waterfalls in the north of England.
The Ingleton railway station opened in 1861 and was an immediate success in attracting tourists from the nearby cities of Manchester, Leeds, and Bradford, leading to the creation of the Ingleton Trail. Following a number of articles in the mid-19th century in several local newspapers about the magnificent waterfalls and wooded mountain scenery in and around the village, public interest led to the creation of the trail in an area which was previously hidden from view.
Paths and bridges were built and the trail opened on Easter Weekend in April 1885. The original charge for the trail was two old pence. For many years, the fee was not charged but recently, quite a steep fee has been enforced by the owners.
The trail eventually became so popular that in June 1888, a record 3,840 people visited the site in a single day. The most spectacular of the falls is Thornton Force, which was featured in an iconic railway advertising poster by the London Midland and Scottish Railway in 1920
Starting in the village’s main car park, the trail takes walkers along the banks of the River Twiss through Swilla Glenn. Here, look out for the coin-embedded money tree. The path then goes on to Pecca Falls, Pecca Twin Falls, Holly Bush Spout, and Thornton Force.
A bridge then crosses the Twiss, taking the walker onto on to Twistleton Lane. Following Twistleton Lane past Twistleton Hall, the walk crosses Oddies Lane to Beezley’s Farm. Past the farm, the trail descends along the banks of the River Doe until it reaches Beezley’s Triple Spout (with its three waterfalls side-by-side). The walk then goes onto Baxenghyl Gorge, Snow Falls and finally through Twistleton Glenn and back to the village.