The Hillsborough Barracks just north of Sheffield has been redeveloped into a building with several enterprises including a supermarket, hotel, and a college facilities. However, this location was once considered the finest purpose-built military barracks in the country. The sympathetic redevelopment has left much to see of this magnificent mid-19th-century complex. The developers have installed a useful series of colorful metal plaques to help visitor orientation.
The supermarket is remarkable, having been created by fitting a roof over the artillery drill square. From the inside, the outer walls are formed from the barracks building.
The barracks covered an area of 28 acres and were constructed with ashlar sandstone in 1848. The barracks housed cavalry soldiers and contained three terraces of buildings. The most prominent one, which faces Langsett Road, housed the mess facilities and quarters for senior officers and their many servants.
The infantry parade square is now a two-story parking lot and the hospital is now part of Sheffield College. At the entrance to the supermarket is a level marker detailing the water level during the Great Sheffield Flood of 1864.