Also known as the Herndon Historical Society Museum, this compendium of local memorabilia includes information on U.S. Navy Commander William Lewis Herndon (for whom the town was named), as well as artifacts from the World War II ship the USS Herndon, noteworthy items shared by local residents, and a healthy dose of railroad-related relics.
The last category of remnants is fitting since the museum is housed in a train depot that dates back to 1857, when it first served the Alexandria, Loudoun, and Hampshire railroad. It later served several other lines, including the Richmond & Danville railroad, the Southern Railway, and the Washington & Old Dominion Railroad.
The railroad was a boon to agriculture in the area and many local farmers used it to ship milk to Washington, D.C. to be processed and distributed. Better roads and the appearance of cars and trucks reduced reliance on trains.
The last major job completed by the railway was the delivery of sand used for the concrete mix to build the runways at Washington Dulles International Airport. The railroad and depot closed in August 1968.
The building still features the original window and door frames, baggage doors, semaphores, and several hardware elements.
Know Before You Go
The Herndon Depot Museum was added to the National Register of Historic Places on June 18, 1979.