In the basement of the Frick Museum rests a masterpiece of a bowling alley. Unfortunately rest is about all it does–it has barely been used since it was built nearly a century ago, because the space has only one entrance and exit, it’s not up to fire code and can’t be opened to the public.
Crafted with real care and skill in 1914, the alley was commissioned for the then extravagant sum of $850, plus an additional $100 for the custom set of balls, which have only two holes, rather than the typical three. This beautiful space features mahogany paneled walls, vaulted ceilings, red tiled floors, and one of the most beautiful bowling alleys the country had seen in 1914. The lanes are maple and pine and the gravity-driven ball return system is reminiscent of a giant, elegant marble run. Sadly, only a lucky few have had the chance to visit and bowl a frame or two.
Know Before You Go
Accessible from 4 & 6 trains at 68th St - Hunter College