It was once the longest continuously running cinema in the United Kingdom.
The Dome building opened in 1911. It originally functioned as a health and entertainment center. Its original name was Kursaal, German for “cure hall.” The building acquired its current name, a reference to the domed structure on its top, in 1915.
In 1918, the building was fully converted to a cinema. After falling into disrepair, the institution was closed in April 1999, having been the longest continuously running cinema in the United Kingdom.
Following the closure, a trust was set up to restore the cinema. The location reopened in December 1999, and obtained funding to carry out the necessary works. However, it was again closed for a major refurbishment in 2005, later reopening to the public in 2007.
The cinema is currently run by a small cinema group and is home to three screens and a bar. Much of the original decor is still in place and can be viewed upon entering the building.
Know Before You Go
Access is free to the lobby and bar areas. A cinema ticket is required to access the rest of the building and screens.
Follow us on Twitter to get the latest on the world's hidden wonders.
Like us on Facebook to get the latest on the world's hidden wonders.Follow us on Twitter Like us on Facebook