Starting as a blacksmith shop, Reighard’s transitioned into a gas station in 1909 a year after Henry Ford introduced the Model T.
Known as “America’s Oldest Gas Station” Reighard’s is made of cinder blocks with hardened concrete shingles and took advantage of being along the rail line. In the late 1800s, George Hinkle sold kerosene, then lamp oil, and after seeing the advent of horseless carriages, began selling gasoline.
Hinkle purchased petroleum products from Samuel S. Reighard, an oil merchant. Shortly after switching to gas, Hinkle sold the station to George D. Reighard, a son of Samuel Reighard. Martin Oil Company purchased the station in 1978 and continues the tradition of full service.