The Fawside family were owners of this property after Scottish leader Robert the Bruce’s rebellion. The Fawsides oversaw the construction of the general plan of the modern-day castle during the 16th-century. During the Rough Wooing between 1544-1548, an English faction burned the Fa’side castle prior to the Battle of Pinkie Cleugh.
A fortification stood at the site prior to the castle’s construction that dated back to the late 12th-century and the first Earl of Winchester. The location has also been the site of other historical events such as a visit from Mary, Queen of Scots in 1567. The castle was later abandoned to the point it was considered for demolition in the 1970s, but after being sold to a private owner it now functions as a bed and breakfast.
Even in the modern era, Fa’side has been unable to avoid conflict, as the property was part of an early 2010s embezzlement case. As a result, the castle was sold for a staggering price of £1.9 million.
Know Before You Go
The castle is a private residence with no access to the interior or grounds. One would have to book an accommodation to have a look inside. It's location is on a country lane with no room to park one's car. Just a few yards from the entrance is a pedestrian walking trail, where one can park and then walk up to the castle.