— The New York Times
It is just the most astonishing public space I’ve ever seen.”
— David Plotz, Atlas Obscura
Where Green-Wood Cemetery's Gothic arch rises high above Brooklyn, there exists a portal between the land of the living and the realm of the dead. Since the 19th century, Green-Wood's elaborate brownstone gate has represented the connection between those two spaces. It is New York's legendary and eternal home to authors, artists, and historic personalities—and here, we will meet again to venture Into The Veil.
Our third year of Into The Veil brings the promise of an extended event with even more to discover. This fall, Atlas Obscura and Green-Wood are conjuring two evenings of exploration and immersion― featuring dozens of intimate and grand performances alike. Vaults will creak open, glasses will be raised, and memories that last a lifetime will be made.
Attendees both new and returning will find their own unique experiences, weaving together stories from the 560,000 lives interred across Green-Wood’s historic 478 acres. Navigating below the silhouettes of thousands of starlit trees, let your curiosity lead you through winding pathways, revealing hidden spaces of music, history, and storytelling. Performances, readings, and other activities will unfold over the course of the night starting at 8 p.m. and continuing until the midnight hour. Where will your night lead?
Throughout the evening, stumble on incredible performances and installations in unexpected environments. Highlights will include S U R V I V E (Stranger Things), Laraaji, Lucien Shapiro, Rob Roth, The Burns Archive, Ashley Rose Couture, The Apprehension Engine, and more to be discovered.
Go even deeper Into The Veil with a VIP Experience!
VIP ticket holders are invited to join us just after 6 p.m. Promptly at 6:30 p.m., your hosts will greet you at the gates and whisk you off the beaten path to experience even more magic and mystery. Set outside the limits of the general event, these private performances and intimate moments are restricted to just 150 participants and inclusive of refreshments for the duration of the pre-party.
General Admission after September 10
$75 for members of Green‑Wood and BHS
$80 for nonmembers.
VIP Experience after September 10
$145 for members of Green‑Wood and BHS
$150 for nonmembers.
- This event is strictly 21+; I.D. required.
- Cocktail attire is encouraged as is sensible footwear; keep in mind that the cemetery can get quite chilly at night.
- Both evenings will feature similar programming.
- Each general admission ticket permits you entry on the selected date, with programming going from 8 pm - 12 am on both nights.
- Cash bars serving various selection of beer, wine, cemetery ciders, and craft cocktails will be available through the site.
- Green-Wood Members may contact Green-Wood Cemetery for more details on membership discount codes (718-210-3080 or firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Advanced tickets are highly recommended, as tickets to this event are likely to sell out quickly.
Advance Tickets Only. All Sales Final. No Refunds or Exchanges.
Stay connected! Subscribe to Atlas Obscura's New York Obscura Society newsletter