Join Atlas Obscura Society D.C. for an exclusive tour of Poplar Spring, where guests will visit and interact with these adorable creatures; from Ivan the turkey to Flora the goat, each animal has a story to tell.
Founded in 1996 by Terry Cummings and Dave Hoerauf, Poplar Spring Animal Sanctuary is a 400-acre non-profit dedicated to the care of deserted and mistreated farm animals and wildlife. The sanctuary has over 200 rescued animals including horses, mules, cows, pigs, sheep, goats, rabbits, turkeys, alpacas, and a peacock.
The tour will conclude with a picnic of vegan treats supplied by Sticky Fingers Sweets and Eats. Be careful—you may make a new friend or two!
- The ticket price includes a substantial donation to the Poplar Spring Animal Sanctuary.
- The refuge is accessible by car only.
- Since this is an active animal sanctuary, please wear clothes that you don’t mind getting dirty and comfortable walking shoes—there could be mud!
- There is only one Port-A-John and hand-washing area available on-site.
- Due to the mission of the sanctuary, only vegan food is allowed on the premises. In addition, kindly do not leave food unattended for it will attract our goat friends.
- This is a family-friendly adventure!
Email Julie Seigel at email@example.com.
Add wonder to your inbox! Sign up for Atlas Obscura newsletters and join our Atlas Obscura Society D.C. Facebook group to discover unexpected stories, amazing places, and remarkable events and trips around the world.
Advance tickets only. All sales final. No refunds or exchanges.