Victorian garden cemeteries were created not only as places of respite for the dead, but also as recreational green spaces for those who visited their loved ones. Graceland Cemetery is known for its beautiful Victorian monuments, but there is so much more beyond just the names carved into stone.
This summer and fall, join Atlas Obscura for a series of four Sunday afternoon concerts and performances in the Chapel at Graceland Cemetery. The first event on July 28 will feature silent film and dance performances, as well as clips from a few films created by Chicagoans. Explore Chicago's connection to dance and see how the city's past choreographers have helped shape modern dance today with a performance from Synapse Arts.
The program will be led by Graceland historian Adam Selzer, who will discuss the lives and historic contributions of several film artists and dancers at Graceland. Adam will also conduct a tour of Graceland prior to the event that will end at the Graceland Cemetery Chapel.
One of the most important dance figures in Chicago, buried at Graceland, is Ruth Page. Today, the Ruth Page Center for the Arts is known as a incubator of artistic energy and the center of Chicago’s dance history. The Ruth Page Center for the Arts carries forward the mission and vision of its founder, legendary dance icon Ruth Page, to be a platform for developing great artists and connecting them with audiences and community. With a focus on dance as a critical art form, its programming ensures that children and dance artists have a place to train, work and perform at the highest level of excellence.,
- Check-in will start at 11:30 a.m.
- Prior to the event, at 10 a.m., Adam Selzer will lead an hour-and-a-half walking tour of Graceland Cemetery. Combination tickets are available for purchase for $50 and include both the tour and the event itself.
- Restrooms are not available in the Chapel but are available in the office at the entrance to Graceland.
- The chapel is ADA accessible.
- Future dates and programming for the Chapel at Graceland series will be announced soon.
Contact Leyla Royale at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Advance ticket sales only. All ticket sales are final. No refunds or exchanges.