Classic comic superheroes and stories are having a moment in the cultural zeitgeist, but the big players aren't the only ones benefitting from the current comic renaissance. Join Atlas Obscura for a lecture by comic artists, teachers, and publishers Sheika Lugtu and Alex Dahm on the history of comics, the growing impact of women and minorities in the comic world, and where you can find the coolest underground zines and webcomics in Chicago and beyond. This interactive lecture will pull from the shelves of the legendary Challengers Comics and end with a chance for participants to try their hand at creating their own short comics.
Curious to see what Chicago comic artists are producing right now? Lecture attendees will have an exclusive chance to purchase an advance copy of the forthcoming book Lemonade Summer, signed by author Gabi Mendez! Lemonade Summer is a collection of coming-of-age short comics about LGBTQ and non-binary youths exploring queer identities and going on grand adventures together, positively reviewed by Nerdist, ComicsVerse, ComicsBeat, and more.
- General Admission Tickets are $25.
- General Admission + a signed copy of Lemonade Summer is $45.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- GETTING THERE: Challengers Comics is located at 1845 N Western Ave, a short walk from the Western Blue Line CTA Station and the #49 Bus. Street parking is available nearby.
- AGE RESTRICTION: This event is open to all ages.
- ACCESSIBILITY: The event is ADA accessible.
- REFUNDS: This ticket is not refundable, but you can transfer it to someone else by following this handy Eventbrite tutorial.
Email Patti Swanson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Stay connected! Subscribe to the Atlas Obscura Society Chicago newsletter