Once upon a time, "animating" meant bringing life to an inanimate object—something you could hold in your hands, but that couldn't move without a little help.
Join Head of Atlas Obscura Society Erin Johnson as we visit Extra Credit Studios, a modern-day live action animation production studio. Located in Culver City's burgeoning Arts District, we'll travel back to a time when animation wasn't just about computer graphics on a screen.
Extra Credit Studios was formed by the writing and producing duo Mark Cope and Carlo Moss, who are best known for creating The Most Popular Girls in School, one of the most popular scripted series in the history of YouTube, a kind of "South Park meets Mean Girls" that stars some trash-talking Barbies.
We'll peek behind the veil at the process that has gone into creating an established, hit series (with nearly a million subscribers)—a lovechild born out of L.A.'s sketch comedy community—as well the newest series from this (now) full-service production studio.
- We will be visiting an active production studio where you may be around inks, paints, glues, and other puppet- and set-building materials, so please be mindful of any allergies or respiratory issues.
- Not suitable for young children.
- Photos are encouraged! Tag @atlasobscura #atlasobscura #extracreditstudios
- Exact address will be sent to confirmed ticket buyers.
- Plenty of street parking available.
Email Sandi Hemmerlein at [email protected]
Advance Tickets Only. All Sales Final. No Refunds or Exchanges.