Somehow Chicago misplaced all the records of its most legendary year, and it’s up to some brave and devoted Atlas Obscura mischief makers to hunt them down.
For this mission, grab a friend and take on the tasks as a 2-person team, or test your mettle solo—either way, this epic hunt promises to send you scavenging through Chicago’s most lavish Loop buildings. Along the way, you'll discover the city's historic trials, triumphs, and tribulations of 1893. Remember to charge your cell phones; though the answers of the hunt can't be found with a simple Google search, you will likely need some internet assistance in deciphering the clues.
The final stop will land you in a super swanky and top-secret location, where you can expect to join Field Agent Patti Swanson (and your competitors) for a drink. Our winner receives a special prize—and losers, we’ll still buy your first drink.
- Ticket includes the scavenger hunt and one drink ticket.
- You must be 21+ to be part of the hunt.
- This event goes on rain, shine, or snow!
- Shrewd scavengers should meet Field Agent Patti on the outdoor front steps of the Art Institute (near the lions) to receive their instructions.
- Be ready to walk 2 miles.
- Wear shoes fit for an adventure and a cold weather outfit to match.
- Limited ADA access.
- The ticket is non-refundable, but you can transfer your purchase by following this handy Eventbrite tutorial.
About Patti Swanson
Patti Swanson is an architectural historian, educator, preservation enthusiast, and bookbinder living in Chicago. Raised near Austin, Texas, Patti came to Chicago in 2011 to pursue a degree in art history at School of the Art Institute of Chicago and stayed for the city's rich history, friendly people, and balmy winters. She worked as a tour guide for four years in various capacities before starting her own walking tour company, Chicago for Chicagoans, in 2016. Patti factors lots of local collaboration into her tours and strongly believes in making history accessible to everyone. She is best described as "Shazam for buildings," and can be found on her website Chicago for Chicagoans.
Email [email protected].
Stay connected! Subscribe to the Illinois Obscura Society newsletter
Advance Tickets only. All Sales Final. No Refunds or Exchanges.