In the heart of Green-Wood Cemetery, hidden on the side of a hill, an inconspicuous iron door leads deep within the earth. Rarely open to the public, the Catacombs are one of Green-Wood’s most spectacular gems. Dating to the 19th century when the Catacombs provided above-ground interment within its numerous vaults, the smooth stone that comprises this long, tunneled burial space offers a special reverb for musical offerings. Join Atlas Obscura and Green-Wood Cemetery as they launch, for the first time ever, Concerts in The Catacombs.
For this summer series, each night will be an immersive experience with artists specifically curated for the Catacombs. From the avant garde to electronic, classical to rock, this won't be your normal musical experience.
Leave modernity behind and swing with us for a night of throw-back grooves at Atlas Obscura's Soul Night in the Catacombs. If you've heard of Danse Macabre, well, we've retrofited the catacombs for an evening of Danse Celebre.
Allow us to transport the smokey, boozy, jazzy 1960s to the halls of Green-Wood's revered Catacombs. Expect to enter the night dancing, as we'll kick off the evening to the hip-shaking, sax-fueled surf rock of Hearing Things. From there, we'll take off with our brothers and sisters from "Benjamin Pirani & The Dreamdancers" with richly arranged, harmony-driven sweet soul with big boss brass flourishes and swirly syrupy strings, all floating through the dark, cool summer's night in the cemetery. Expect special, surprise performances too.
The event is curated by Field Agent Adriana Molello, who helped curate other Atlas Obscura events such as Into the Veil, Secret Mausoleum Club and the Great Forgotten Garden Party.
- A cash bar for beer and wine will be available.
- This event is strictly 21+; I.D. required.
- This event will not be seated; standing-room only.
- Girls, get your rollers in- period specific attire is encouraged (though not required).
- Sensible footwear is encouraged.
- Keep in mind that the cemetery can get quite chilly at night.
- Entrance into the event occurs from 8-8:30pm, performances begin at 8:30.
- GUESTS ARRIVING AFTER 8:30 WILL NOT BE ADMITTED.
- Catacombs are an approximate 15 minute walk from the entrance, so please allow yourself enough time to arrive.
MORE FROM THE CONCERTS IN THE CATACOMBS SERIES
Email [email protected].
Stay connected! Subscribe to Atlas Obscura's New York Obscura Society newsletter
Advance Tickets Only. All Sales Final. No Refunds or Exchanges.